Make-ahead Irish Dinner Classics
Colcannon (mashed potatoes with cabbage)
Makes 8 servings
2 1/2 lbs. medium-size potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
1/2 cup milk, warmed
4 strips bacon
1/2 small head of cabbage, chopped
1 large or 2 small onions, minced
3 Tbs. butter
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook potatoes in salted boiling water until tender; drain potatoes, return to the pot, and mash them with warmed milk.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet; remove bacon when it is crisp and reserve drippings; crumble bacon and set aside.
- Cook the cabbage and onion in bacon drippings, stirring until both are coated.
- Add 1/2 cup water, cover pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage and onions are soft.
- Drain cabbage and return to skillet; add butter and stir until butter is melted.
- Combine cabbage, onions, and mashed potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add bacon to potato mixture, or reserve crumbled bacon to sprinkle on top just before serving; serve warm.*
*Note: If you're preparing Colcannon in advance, place potato mixture in a greased, 3-quart baking dish and dot with butter; cover, and refrigerate. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees about 1 hour or until top is golden.
- For each serving, mix 6 oz. strong, hot coffee with 1 ounce of Irish whiskey in a cup or Irish coffee glass mug.
- Add 1 to 2 Tbs. of brown sugar, to taste; stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Float whipped cream on top; sprinkle with chocolate shavings, cinnamon, or green sugar sprinkles, if desired.