Fiery white chili
Serves 6 people
1 lb. chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. ground cumin, divided
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 celery stalks, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 16-oz. can cannellini beans, drained
1 cup chicken broth
1 4-oz. can chopped green chilies, drained
1/4 cup lime juice
1 Tbs. hot sauce
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (optional)
- Cut chicken breasts into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In shallow bowl, combine flour and 1 teaspoon cumin; toss chicken in flour mixture.
- Heat vegetable oil in 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken; cook until well browned on all sides, stirring frequently.
- Remove chicken to bowl.
- In drippings remaining in saucepan, cook celery and green pepper over medium heat until tender crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans, chicken broth, green chilies, lime juice, hot sauce, salt, remaining 1 teaspoon of cumin and browned chicken.
- Heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in parsley.
- Serve with shredded Monterey Jack cheese, if desired.
Source: Adapted from TABASCO and photo by McCormick