Berry good French toast
Serves 8 people
14 oz. milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
7 large eggs
16 oz. loaf French bread, cut into one-inch cubes
3 oz. cream cheese, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
- Place milk, sugar, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and eggs in a large bowl and beat with a handmixer until smooth.
- Add bread cubes and stir with a spoon until coated.
- Pour bread mixture into pan.
- Top evenly with cream cheese, blueberries, and pecans.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 -25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut into squares for serving.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup.
Source: Recipe adapted from and photo by Bottger Mansion of Old Town (Albuquerque, New Mexico)