Festive fall soup
Serves 12 servings
4 Tbs. butter
4 cups peeled and diced winter squash (butternut squash, acorn squash or pumpkin)
2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
2 onions, chopped
2 pears, peeled and quartered
6 cups sodium-reduced chicken stock
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup shredded Gouda cheese
2 bags croutons
2 pears, finely sliced
12 slices Gouda cheese, cut into triangles
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in saucepan; brown squash, potatoes, onion and pears.
- Add stock and milk. Stir in nutmeg and cayenne pepper. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper.
- Bring to boil, then simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Puree in batches in a blender. Return to pot.
- Stir in Gouda cheese. Simmer until it melts.
- Top soup with croutons, pear slices, and Gouda triangles; serve.
Source: Recipe adapted from and photo by the Dairy Farmers of Canada