Serves 6 people
1 prepared pastry pie shell
8 oz. bulk pork sausage
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach
1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded (4 ounces)
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup light cream
1/4 tsp. salt
3 cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare pastry pie shell; set aside.
- Crumble sausage in medium skillet; add onion and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat till sausage is browned stirring occasionally; drain well.
- Thaw spinach and drain well (Remove remaining moisture by pressing spinach between layers of paper toweling)
- Mix spinach into sausage mixture.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly in pastry shell.
- Top cheese with sausage mixture.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, cream and salt.
- Pour egg mixture over sausage mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted halfway between center and outer edge comes out clean.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with cherry tomatoes and watercress, if desired.
- Serving suggestions: Serve with croissants and seasonal fresh fruit. This recipe can also be adapted to make small tart quiches for appetizers.
Source: Recipe adapted from and photo by the National Pork Board