Mix-and-Match Cinco de Mayo Party
Serve guacamole with tortilla chips as an appetizer, use it as one of the layers in 7-layer dip, or serve it as one of the tasty accompaniments to chicken enchiladas.
Blend together and chill for several hours:
- 4 ripe avocados (flesh should yield to slight pressure), pitted and mashed to desired texture
- juice from one lime
- 4 small tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced , or use sliced, canned jalapeños
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- parsley or cilantro, salt and pepper to taste
To keep the guacamole from turning brown while it chills: Place an avocado pit in the prepared guacamole; also, gently press plastic wrap over the entire surface of the guacamole, to help keep air out.
Image by Lighto on Flickr.com
Use a 9-inch glass pie plate or deep-sided glass bowl to create an appetizer that's as pretty as it is delicious.
- Mix beans and taco seasoning mix, if desired.
- Put beans at the bottom of the serving plate or bowl. Layer any combination of mix-and-match ingredients, except chips, over the bean mixture; cover.
- Refrigerate several hours or until chilled. Serve with crisp tortilla chips.
Image by Vegan Noodle on Flickr.com