How to prepare fresh artichokes
Here's a guide from the California Artichoke Advisory Board on how to prepare beautiful fresh artichokes, to serve with one or more of these 8 delectable dips.
Photos courtesy of California Artichoke Advisory Board
To prepare 4 large artichokes:
- Wash artichokes under cold running water. Using a stainless steel knife, to prevent discoloration, cut off stems at base; remove small bottom leaves.
- Slice tips to create a flat top surface, if desired. You also can snip tips off lower leaves with scissors, if desired.
- As each artichoke is cut, plunge it into cold water to which lemon slices, 1 Tb. lemon juice or 1 Tb. vinegar has been added, to help prevent discoloration.
- Stand artichokes upright in deep saucepan large enough to hold snugly. Add 1 teaspoon salt and two to three inches boiling water. (Lemon juice, herbs, garlic powder or onion powder may be added for flavor, if desired.)
- Cover and boil artichokes gently for 35 to 45 minutes or until bases can be pierced easily with fork. (Add a little more boiling water, if needed.)
- Turn artichokes upside down to drain. Cool completely; cover and refrigerate to chill.
- Serve with any of the 8 wonderful, creamy dips presented here.
You might also enjoy: