Fancy dessert dips: Fast, pretty, and healthy, too
Stylish entertaining can be quick, easy and fun. In fact, here's a party dessert that you can create in no time flat that will look sensational when you bring it to the table.
The extra bonus is that you and your guests can enjoy these fresh fruit and delicious dips without any guilt.
What types of fruit to use? Almost any! Fresh strawberries, melon balls or cubes, orange segments, seedless grapes, pineapple cubes, and slices of mango or apple (store slices briefly, if necessary, covered with orange juice or with cold water to which lemon juice has been added).
Note: All of these recipes make about 1½ to 2 cups; if dips get too thick, just add a small amount of milk and blend to desired consistency.
Caramel rum fruit dip
½ cup butter or butter substitute
1 14-oz. package caramels, unwrapped
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 Tbs. milk
1 tsp. rum extract (or substitute 1 Tbs. rum)
- Melt butter and caramels in 2-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until caramels are melted for about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in pecans, milk and rum extract. Stir vigorously to incorporate butter.
- Keep warm; use as a dip for cut-up fresh fruit.
- Place butter and caramels in medium microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on HIGH, stirring occasionally, until caramels are melted for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in pecans, milk and rum extract. Stir vigorously to incorporate butter. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from and image courtesy of Land O'Lakes.
PEACH PIE DIP
2 4-oz containers diced peaches, drain and keep juice aside
1 4-oz package of reduced-fat cream cheese
1 tsp. cinnamon
- Combine diced peaches with juice, cream cheese, and cinnamon in a blender or food processor; blend until smooth.
- Pour into a small bowl and serve.
Recipe adapted from Dole.
PUMPKIN FRUIT DIP
1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 can (15 oz.) solid pack pumpkin
2 cups confectioner's sugar
3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. ground ginger
- Beat the cream cheese and confectioner's sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the pumpkin, vanilla, ginger and pumpkin pie spice; beat until smooth.
- Serve or keep refrigerated.