Comfort food party dishes
Fill your home with the warm, delicious aroma of well-seasoned comfort food favorites that will please guests the second they walk in the door!
Let the meat dishes cook slowly all day while you prepare fabulous party-perfect side dishes that bake during the final hour or so of cooking.
What could be a simpler and more satisfying way to entertain!
Slow-cooked spiced-cranberry pork roast
Makes 6 to 8 servings
3-1/2 to 4 lbs. boneless pork shoulder roast (butt)
1 6-oz. can jellied cranberry sauce
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup cranberry juice
2 Tbs. Dijon-style mustard
1-1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. ground black pepper
Salt, to taste
- Trim fat from pork roast, if necessary. Place roast in 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Use wire whisk to stir together cranberry sauce and sugar in medium bowl.
- Stir in juice, mustard, cloves and pepper until well combined. Pour cranberry mixture over roast in slow cooker.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until pork roast is tender.
- Season roast to taste with salt; serve juices with roast.
Recipe adapted from and photo by the National Pork Board.
Slow-cooked lemon chicken
Makes 6 to 8 servings
1 apple - peeled, cored and quartered
1 stalk celery with leaves, chopped
1 (3 to 4 lbs.) whole chicken
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 cup hot water
- Rub salt and pepper into the skin of the chicken, and then place apple and celery inside the chicken.
- Place chicken in slow cooker. Sprinkle chopped onion, rosemary, and lemon juice and zest over chicken.
- Pour 1 cup hot water into the slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook on High for 1 hour. Switch to Low, and cook for 6 to 8 hours, basting several times.
Image credit: Pilgrim's Pride
Classic slow-cooker pot roast
Makes 8 to 10 servings
2 cans (10.75 oz) of condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 package (1 oz) dry onion soup mix
1-1/4 cups water
1 Tbs. cooking oil
5 lbs. beef pot roast (such as chuck roast)
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, brown roast on all sides and pour off drippings.
- In a slow cooker, mix remaining ingredient and add beef. Cook on low setting for 8-9 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots for a complete meal.
Recipe adapted from the Missouri Beef Industry Council
Click here for slow cooking tips and advice from the Missouri Beef Industry Council.