Fancy desserts: Festive apple desserts
You can never go wrong by serving guests a golden apple pie, or warm baked apples or apple crisp with cold vanilla ice cream.
Here, selected from dozens of apple dessert recipes offered by the Washington Apple Commission, are some easy, delicious, and company-perfect apple desserts:
Dutch Apple Crumble
Crumbles and crisps offer the flavor of homemade pie without the fuss of making pastry.
6 Gala or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- Heat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate. Prepare Filling: In large bowl, combine apple slices, both sugars, and cinnamon; mix well. Transfer apple mixture to pie plate.
- Prepare crumble: In medium-size bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Gather small amounts of crumb mixture and press together to make large streusel-like pieces.
- Arrange crumble randomly on top of filling. Bake 35-40 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden.
Apple Pecan Crumb Pie
Pecans add a little crunch to the classic apple pie filling.
Pastry for one-crust 9-inch pie
6 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. ground mace
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon.
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- Heat oven to 375° F. Line a 9-inch pie pan with pastry, trimming edges.
- In large bowl, combine apples, pecans, sugar, flour, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and mace; toss well to blend. Transfer apple mixture to pastry-lined pan.
- Prepare Crumb Topping; In small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Spread crumb topping evenly over apple filling. Bake pie 45 minutes or until apples are tender.
Baked Apples with Banana-Date Filling
6 Jonagold or Golden Delicious apples, cored
1 large banana
1 Tbs. lemon juice
2 Tbs. chopped dates
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 Tbs. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup water
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 lemon, sliced
- Heat oven to 350° F. Peel top 1/3 of apples and remove core; arrange, peeled end up, in shallow baking dish. Peel and dice banana; sprinkle with lemon juice. Mix banana with dates, walnuts, sugar, and salt. Spoon mixture into centers of apples.
- In small saucepan, combine water, corn syrup, and lemon slices; boil 5 minutes. Pour over apples and bake 30 to 40 minutes or until apples are tender, basting frequently with syrup.
Image credit: Mele Cotte