Elegant holiday brunch
A nice, relaxing brunch is a perfect way to celebrate any holiday. If you are planning to have some family members over, or delight in the beauty of the season with some good friends, here are some great brunch recipes.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 prepared pastry pie shell
- 8 oz. bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded (4 ounces)
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup light cream
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare pastry pie shell; set aside.
- Crumble sausage in medium skillet; add onion and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat till sausage is browned stirring occasionally; drain well.
- Thaw spinach and drain well (Remove remaining moisture by pressing spinach between layers of paper toweling)
- Mix spinach into sausage mixture.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly in pastry shell.
- Top cheese with sausage mixture.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, cream and salt.
- Pour egg mixture over sausage mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted halfway between center and outer edge comes out clean.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with cherry tomatoes and watercress, if desired.
Serving suggestions: Serve with croissants and seasonal fresh fruit. This recipe can also be adapted to make small tart quiches for appetizers.
Source: Recipe adapted from and photo by the National Pork Board