Bite-sized comfort foods
Adapted from Tillamook County Creamery Association
Makes 24 pieces
1 cup white extra sharp Cheddar cheese, broken into chunks
2 1/2 Tbs. unsalted Butter
1 1/2 tsp. Brandy or Cognac
1 Tbs. finely minced celery
1 pinch of cayenne
1/4 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- Heat oil in a small frying pan over medium heat
- Add shallots and salt and saute until soft; set aside to cool.
- Place cheeses, butter and brandy in bowl of food processor.
- Pulse until mixture is smooth.
- Transfer mixture to medium bowl and stir in shallots, celery and cayenne.
- Chill in refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
- In a separate bowl combine bread crumbs and parsley.
- Form cheese mixture into teaspoon-sized balls and roll in bread crumb mixture.
- Serve at room temperature.
Sweet-and-sour shrimp puffs
Adapted from Pillsbury
Makes 16 pieces
3 Tbs. cream cheese spread (from 8-oz container)
1 tsp. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. finely chopped garlic
1 can (8 oz) crescent dinner rolls (8 rolls)
16 uncooked deveined peeled large shrimp (about 1/2 lb), thawed if frozen, tails removed, if desired
3 Tbs. sesame seed
1/3 cup apricot preserves
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray cookie sheet with no-stick cooking spray, or line with cooking parchment paper. In small bowl, mix cream cheese, soy sauce, ginger and garlic until well blended; set aside.
- Separate dough into 8 triangles. Cut each triangle lengthwise in half to make 16 triangles. Spread about 1/2 teaspoon cream cheese mixture on each triangle.
- Pat shrimp dry with paper towels. Place 1 shrimp on shortest side of each triangle; roll up, starting at shortest side, rolling to opposite point.
- Place sesame seed in small bowl. Gently press top of each roll into sesame seed; place roll, point side down, on cookie sheet.
- Bake 16 to 21 minutes or until golden brown.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave preserves uncovered on High about 20 seconds or until melted. Gently spread 1 teaspoon melted preserves over each puff to glaze. Cool 5 minutes and serve warm.
Mini new potato bites
Adapted from Kraft
Makes 30 pieces (about 15 servings)
1-1/2 lbs. new potatoes (about 15 potatoes)
4 oz. (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.) regular or chive and onion cream cheese, softened
2 Tbs. sour cream
2 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
4 slices bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled
2 Tbs. snipped fresh chives
- Place potatoes in large saucepan; add enough water to cover. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, mix cream cheese, sour cream and Parmesan cheese; cover. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Next, drain potatoes and cool slightly. Cut potatoes in half; cut small piece from bottom of each potato half so potato lies flat.
- Place on serving platter. Top each potato half with 1 tsp. of the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with bacon and chives.
Tip: Make these ahead. These taste great hot or cold.
MORE BITE-SIZED PARTY FOODS
- Tortilla pinwheels
- Asiago and Pepperoni Puff Pastry Pizzas Recipe
- Five-Spice Appetizer Meatballs
You might also enjoy: